Monday 9 July 2012

Gladyz is from Fata'ulua, Niuafo'ou

Diola Gladyz
Niuafo'ou Is.
Funga Vailahi










Hello & Malo e lelei ,

I think I haven't mentioned that i'm from this little Island of Niuafo'ou which is known by most Tongans as the most Northerly Island in the Kingdom of Tonga. 


My dad was born and raised there. He has experienced all the hardship in the little Island. Their main source of food was mainly from the sea. His father always go fishing and even try other ways that he could to gain money for school fees, and other things as well. 


I remembered when I was still one years of age, my parents took me with them to Niuafo'ou because my dad used to work for the government so he had to go work for the Ministry of Finance at Niuafo'ou. Sad that I was still a baby so I can't even remember anything by that time. We came back to Tongatapu and after a few years we went to Niua again but I was 7 years old by then. This time I spent most of my time exploring and try to know more about the island. I even learn how to ride horses which was their main source of transportation by the time. I had so much fun, such as going with some friends and collect mangoes from the bush, we played silly games such as hide-n-seek (langatoi) and so much more that I can't even remember. 


Some have migrated from Niuafo'ou to the Main Island for Education, Marriage, owned their own land, etc. Looking back to where they grew up has meant nothing to them no more. But to me, I think that I wouldn't be this successful person as I thought I am today, If weren't for the support of the people whom I loved, that have been raised up in Niuafo'ou with a brave heart and souls. I will never forget my beloved Island, I would love to go back and work for the people of Niua. 


!!! I'M PROUD TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I'M FROM FATA'ULUA, NIUAFO'OU !!!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Gladyz,

    I see this was written a few years ago, just wondering did you manage to go back?
    Thanks
    Maj

    ReplyDelete